Although Elisey was Dimcho's protector and comforter in the orphanage, we think, as Dimcho becomes attached to us, he is no longer easily acquiescing to Elisey's dominance. He's also picking up some of Elisey's bad habits, such as snatching things and talking back, but that's not abnormal for a five year old. I think. He does have meltdowns too, but being 2/3 the weight of Elisey he's easier to control.
The problem is Elisey, though he does truly care for his brother, also demands being first. Literally. He'll have a meltdown if Dimcho is walking ahead and we don't let Elisey jet ahead.
This led last night to one of our worse episodes, which includes biting, smashing a trayful of dishes, and urine-based terrorism. I'm being deliberately circumspect because even though this blog is useful to vent, I also am mindful about making a spectacle of my children. It was a very hard evening, on everyone. There was much screaming and gnashing of teeth--and the boys were upset too.
Every morning I wake up promising myself I'll be calm and collected. Every evening I go to bed regretting when I was not the cool, caring parent I want to be.
Today has actually been better, even though on numerous occasions we could see a meltdown approaching, and tried to figure a way out. Not always easy. I did avert one crisis by the judicious application of bubbles, which was a sufficient distraction. We'll see how this evening goes.