One of my students commented he was enjoying the pizza here.
Pizza??!!
True, pizza did originate in Italy, but too often what you get here is merely a reflection back of the American version, in order to better attract tourists.
Although I enjoyed the pasta here, I particular enjoy trying truly unique Italian specialities, often from a particular region such as Trentino. Restaurants around here may offer "tipico" (typical) food, and if this is their sole offering they can get a tax break as a way of sustaining local culture.
Last night the school went to such a restaurant, in the mountains on the far side of the valley, beyond Sopramonte and on the way to Lago di Garda.
It was, of course, a fabulous meal. I can't even begin to describe it (and if I did, you might not care for it...raw meat....donkey rolls--not a euphemism) but it was all fabulous and in fact quite an affordable price. THIS is what I hope for when I come to Italy, not pizza.
(To the credit of my student, he raved over the meal, and took a picture of every dish to show to his girlfriend back home.)

