Sunday, September 23, 2012

From Sea to Sky

The weather turned cool and overcast on Friday, much more typically Northwest (who needs all that sun anyway?). On Saturday I got up early and headed out of Vancouver, on Hwy 99 north, the "Sea-to-Sky-Highway" from Vancouver to the ski resort town of Whistler.

Along the way I passed the beautiful Horseshoe Bay, where ferries wade across to Vancouver Island and to the ironically named, I assumed, Sunshine Coast, and Lion's Bay, and up through the town of Squamish. Just north of there I pulled into Alice Lake Provincial Park

Despite the overcast weather, the campgrounds here and elsewhere were full. I took the Four Lakes Loop, with a few detours, passing Alice Lake, Edith Lake (shown), Fawn Lake, and Stump Lake. I don't have the patience for steep climbs anymore, and so this was ideal: about 9 or 10 km of mildly wobbling trails.

Many of the trails were shared with mountain bikers, although I only two two, maybe three groups of them. One side path was the "Tracks from Hells," which I suppose was technically difficult for a bicycle, but easy on foot: a sequence of wooden paths over muddy terrain, in the midst of a landscape devastated by logging.

At first I thought some tremendous flood must have come through, and I think some flood waters had made it look worse, but in the end I decided it was mostly logging. While there are huge swaths of forest, there are also large bald spots in the landscape where the forest has been mostly swept clean by logging.



Now I head down to Seattle for three weeks at the University, although next weekend I'll fly home to San Diego for a few days.