Monday, May 14, 2012
Bienvenidos a Cocoyoc!
I'm down in Mexico, in the Hotel Hacienda Cocoyoc in the state of Morelos, about an hour south of Mexico City. Very tranquil here. "Cocoyoc" means "Place of the coyote".
My reason for being here is a conference in honor of the 70th birthday of the mathematical physicist Franco Iachello, where I will give a talk on random matrices with symmetries. I know a lot of the participants here, and have known many of them for over 20 years. I've been to this conference site before, about six years ago.
It's very bucolic and beautiful, set in the ruins of an old sugar cane plantation--we spotted some sugar cane on the way in. Mostly this is a relaxing spa for Mexican families on holiday, with swimming and other amenities. I'll be busy, however, with the conference and not much time for relaxing. I'll probably take a quick swim after lunch however. Most important is I'll have nice conversations about mathematical physics with old friends. Well, it may not sound like fun to you, but it is fun to me!


