Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Scupture park and dinner




Today we had the excursion for the conference, which was to the Vigeland sculpture park. Apparently Gustav Vigeland convinced the city of Oslo of his genius and got them to provide him with a house and stipend and in exchange he donated all his sculptures, as long as they displayed them publically in perpetuity.



It's a very nice park and some interesting statues. The guide said he made all his statues nude because he didn't want them tied down to an era. Now, I'm no expert, but many of the statues seemed to me very emblematic of his era. At the end of this post I'll reveal when he was working at the height of his powers.


Vigeland's most famous statue, apparently (I'm no expert in Norwegian art) is this statue of a child throwing a tantrum:








After the park we went to dinner. The main course was reindeer, served with turnips and potatoes, very Scandanavian. A lovely time was had by all.

ANSWER: Vigeland died in 1943 (the obelisk below is his memorial to those who died during the Nazi takeover of Norway). Most of his work was in the 1930s.